Krisannrio Owners
Please sign in, New members by invitation only

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Krisannrio Owners
Please sign in, New members by invitation only
Krisannrio Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collars on or off?

2 posters

Go down

Collars on or off? Empty Collars on or off?

Post  afton.griffiths Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:03 pm

Just wondering if it's better to take my puppys collar off when he's in the house or if it's ok to leave it on all of the time? I would prefer to keep it on all of the time incase he makes a break for it out a door and we need to grab him by it rather than rugby tackle him. Also it has his ID tag on. But my boyfriends dad has told him it will matt the dogs fur and they always took their dogs collars off in the house so they knew they had to sit before they went for a walk and wait for the collar to go on. Just wondered what everyone else does, Riggs is my first dog.
afton.griffiths
afton.griffiths

Back to top Go down

Collars on or off? Empty Re: Collars on or off?

Post  nickyclay Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:11 am

Haven't got a GSD got labradors and newfoundland puppy - always kept collars on the the labs but it made their hair kink where the collar had been. When we got Heidi (newfy) the breeder advised us not to keep the collar in the house as it would indent (can't remember the exact word she used) her fur so only to put a collar on her when taking her out, we also started taking the collars off the labs in the house and their hair has started to go smooth again. I would say if you are 100% sure that your house is puppy proofed against escape - include the garden in this then if you want to leave the collar off in the house it is your choice. I had a collar on Milly (our youngest lab) when she was a pup and our gate blew open unbeknown to us and she got out we got her back quickly and had the gate replaced as it was old and have a very sturdy gate now - also if we answer the front door we always make sure the dogs are locked in a room before opening the door. hope this helps Smile
nickyclay
nickyclay

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum